Friday, 31 January 2014

Onwards and Upwards (hopefully)


So trying to put Caledonia behind me I've got the build up to Adepticon in Chicago. But before that I've got the Yorkshire Open. This is a tournament organised by the GCN and features a number of qualifiers, semis and a final. Sadly one of the qualifiers I had registered for at Vapnatak was cancelled due to poor registration (the fact that it was terribly advertised, to the point the main 40k club in York couldn't get details on it) probably answers a lot of why that happened. Anyway I'm in one qualifying tournament at the Royal Armouries in Leeds (RAGE) and potentially running the York Garrison round. I'll only really get to play in the later if there's an odd number of sign ups, so I would like to qualify at RAGE. However the GCN in their wisdom haven't restricted the tournament in any way so Forge World, Escalation and Stronghold assault will all be in affect. How much filth that means I don't know, but I'm guessing there will be at least a few people who try to buy there way into in the next round. So what to take.

I've got a few options from my armies, Space Wolves, Marines or Tau are the most likely since I still don't think a Tyranid army will work. Maybe if I qualify at RAGE and have to play in the Garrison heat I may try a Tyranid army for giggles. So my options are ;-

WHITE SCARS
Kor'sarro Khan with Moonfang
Chapter Master Bikezander
Command Squad on Bike with 4 Grav Guns, Apothacary
5 Space Marine Bikes with 2 Grav Guns
5 Space Marine Bikes with 2 Grav Guns
5 Space Marine Bikes with 2 Grav Guns
Thunderfire Cannon
Storm Talon with Skyhammer Missiles
Storm Talon with Skyhammer Missiles

Inquisitor Coteaz



SPACE WOLFS
Rune Priest
Rune Priest with bolter
Wolf Priest with Plasma Pistol
8 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Banner in a drop pod
8 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Banner in a drop pod
8 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Banner in a drop pod
8 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Banner in a drop pod
5 Grey Hunters, Flamer in a drop pod
5 Grey Hunters, Flamer in a drop pod
10 Wolf Guard, 4 combi meltas, 6 combi plasma




TAU EMPIRE
Commander Batman (lite)
10 Kroot
10 Kroot
10 Kroot
Riptide, Ion Acclerator, Intercept, Skyfire
Skyray
Skyray
Skyray

Tau Hunter Cadre
Riptide Heavy Burst Cannon, Intercept
3 Missileside, Intercept
3 Missileside, Intercept




I love the visual appeal of the White Scars army, a horde of bikes just looks so cool. It can face off against a number of armies, especially if it gets first turn (Coteaz helps to prevent being seized on once I’ve aggressively deployed and the scouted forward. The main negative for this one currently is the amount of painting which would be required in under a week. I’d need to complete 10 bikes and Coteaz in order to take this one. It’s also fragile, if the bike start taking damage the army’s output drops rapidly. Finally any Helldrake based army (especially triple Helldrake) will pretty much knock me out of the tournament, even with the Storm Talons.

The Space Wolves have the possibility to really wreck some of the meta armies. If Tau don’t have excessive intercept and can’t bubble wrap effectively (and remember they are using their troop choices to bubble wrap), then the Drop Wolves can really lay some smack down on them with Melta and Jaws. The Rune priest can also hamper the psychic deathstars which are increasingly prevalent. Again the major flaw for this army is flyers, it simply has no tools to deal with them, so Helldrakes or Necron air would pose a significant issue for me.

The Tau force is probably the “dirtiest” of them, it a little old fashioned given its gun line tau, but can really put the hurt on most armies, especially when the Broadsides and Riptide get Tank Hunter and Preferred Enemy Space Marines for free. Flyer face off against Skyfiring Skyrays, firstly with their missiles and also with their markerlight making the broadside hit easier. Its a litle light on the troops but the plan is to simply demolish people before they can really get their hands on the troops. Not knowing what the terrian is like is a bit of an unknown, if I face someone on a largely open board there's little they can do to stop me.


So what do people think, which option should I go with? or can you see any improvements on the lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment